Tuesday 12 November 2013

Trinidad Fried Ochro


Fried ochro is one of those dishes that remind me of an evening on a weekday after school. This was one of those quick meals my mom would prepare and serve with fried plantains and sada roti(flatbread)...I always had my piece buttered. If avocado, or zabouca as we called it, was in season, it would be part of the meal and every other meal too. It is really considered now to be more of a breakfast food but honestly the only way I'm having this for breakfast is if I prepare it the night before and reheat it or if someone else prepares it for me :P I'm just not up for a busy kitchen that early in the morning.  




You'll need:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
2lbs ochro sliced
1 small onion chopped
6 cloves garlic minced
cooking peppers/habanero minced
juice of one lime
salt to taste

You have to understand that this here is not an exact science like it would be for baking and such. When we make this it's usually with how much ochro we happened to buy.

You MUST have lime( Although I'm sure lemon would work). The lime cuts into that texture that ochro is known for and gives a great flavour too.

What you're going to do:

In a broad-bottomed pot or frying panSaute/chunkay with onions, pepper and garlic(in that order) in the oil that has been heated.

Throw in sliced ochros and fry WITHOUT SALT, for about 5mins. Add juice of a lime and stir well. Add salt to taste and fry until dried on low heat (15 mins)... until the slices start coming apart from each other.


I had some fried potatoes from the day before so I added that to the pot. Waste not want not, right? It is common place to fry ochro with potatoes anyway.

Serve with Sada roti and a slice of avocado or fried plantains are great too.

Remember,don't let your kitchen intimidate you! You're the boss!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment