Sunday 24 November 2013

"Mudda"-in-law (Pepper Pickle)

Nothing quite like some curried food with rich paratha roti and a hott mudda-in-law. I'll never forget when my older son asked my dad why it was called that and the explanation that followed. Lol! Use your imagination. :D

This pepper condiment also does well with just about everything, even grilled cheese. It's simple too. You can chop everything by hand but the mere thought of getting pepper on my hands and then by mistake touching my face or my kids' makes me grab my processor just to have less of a chance. Please wear a pair of latex gloves too from the moment you cut into one of those peppers until you're done and all traces of pepper are cleaned with soap and water.

the gloves!















You'll need:

  • 10 hot peppers like habanero (I used SCORPION PEPPERS)
  • 1 medium-sized carrot
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 1 head of garlic peeled
  • 1 tsp salt or to your taste 
  • 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar


I used about 5 leaves of bandania (shadow benni) but only because we bought too much and I wanted to use it out. It's not a classic ingredient here but lemme just say, everyone raved about this particular mudda-in-law!

Method:

  • Put all except the vinegar and peppers in the processor(be sure to cut the carrot and onion to help out your processor).
  • Pulse 10-15 times. You do not want a smooth paste but rather a chunky finish. 
  • Add peppers and pulse 5 times.
  • Add vinegar and pulse 5 more times.
  • Taste for salt if you dare and adjust.
  • Empty into glass jars and let it sit for a few hours before using.


This makes about 22 ounces. (A regular-sized jar and a lil extra for the neighbour :P)



No comments:

Post a Comment